Children's Literature: culturally responsive teaching

This weblog is a project for Education 642, Children's written and oral genres, a course for elementary education students at UNBC (Prince George, BC). Its purpose is to provide an opportunity for students to experience how literature "opens up worlds"-- the social, emotional, imaginative, spritual, the cultural and the aesthetic.

Friday, January 20, 2006

Hi everyone, I am going to try and put a URL in this post that will, I hope, hook up to a traditional African American song called "Follow the drinking gourd".




Its a song that was mentioned on a teacher web page that discussed ways of using the book "Night John" with students. As you know, the central premise of the story is that all slaves are forbidden to learn to read; one of the reasons is of course, that they could use this skill to help themselves escape.

The song "follow the drinking gourd" illustrates how knowledge was passed in other ways; according to the website I visited, the song contains directions on how to head north, following along particular landmarks at particular times of year.

In case you want to visit the website, I'll insert the web link here: link

And here is the weblink where you can listen to the tune of the song:
link

I hope they work! (I'm crossing my fingers!!)
Cathy

7 Comments:

  • At 5:32 PM, Blogger Sophia said…

    Cathy, The book I chose for the multicultural assignment is about about how a slaves used a patchwork quilt to help them head head north. The quilt had directions along the Underground Railway on how to get to Canada. The story is based upon a true events and many of these quilts were used by slaves in their quest to Canada.

     
  • At 7:10 PM, Blogger Dan said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 7:12 PM, Blogger Dan said…

    I can remember reading a book that had the story of the drinking gord in it but can't remember the title. Maybe it will come to me... What is the name of the book you have Sophia?

     
  • At 10:25 PM, Blogger Sophia said…

    Dan,
    I wonder if you're thinking of Underground to Canada? I think that story mentions the drinking gourd, but I could be wrong. The other book was the Patchwork Path: A Quilt Map to Freedom.

     
  • At 10:05 AM, Blogger Dan said…

    You've got it Sophia!! It was Underground to Canada... I will have to find that at the library and reread it sometime soon. Hmm those three books (patchwork, night john, and underground to Canada) may be the start of an interesting Unit. Hmmm...

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger Dan said…

    hehe, I just read your Blog Sophia. Guess I should have done that earlier and I would have realised that you made the connection between these books already...

     
  • At 10:16 PM, Blogger MHall said…

    Awesome. I just can't imagine being deprived of learning how to read. mamie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home